Back when I worked Saturdays at my local McDonald’s, during my senior year of high school, one of my favourite things to treat myself to after lunch was a vanilla milkshake and an espresso - combined. I would pour the espresso into my milkshake and stir until it was all blended and smooth. Needless to say, the sugar and caffeine gave me an extra kick after eating, and I was running (and sliding sideways on the floor to save seconds per order, all you other McD workers will know exactly what that means) around in my sugar & caffeine high until my shift ended. It worked like a charm every time, and tasted amazing, too.
Fast forward to now and I cannot remember the last time I ordered a milkshake or when I last made one myself. So, when I got some serious coffee milkshake cravings the other day - I went all in.
And when I say that I went all in, I mean it - as you can probably see. This over-the-top milkshake is clearly not the version you end up making on a Tuesday night at 23.04, when you crave something sweet before bed. But if you want to feel extra fancy - or if your goal is to impress someone with Pinterest worthy creations, going all in with the extras will totally be worth your time and effort.
- Vanilla ice-cream (the fancy kind with real vanilla)
- A splash of strong, cold coffee
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce
- Cocoa powder
1. Start by chilling the glasses in the fridge.
2. When the glasses are cold, line the insides with caramel sauce, and put them back into the frige.
3. Mix ice-cream, coffee & milk until you have a consistency you're happy with. How much of each to add? It totally depends on your own taste buds!
4. Lastly, the most fun part - decorating! Decorate by spritzing whipped cream on top, adding a meringue or two and topp off with a dust of cacao powder (easy to do dust over with a teastrainer). And take Instagrams! Ofc.